Become an approved Personal Assistant
Personal Assistants (PA's) help people with care and support needs in their own home.
Personal Assistants support people with everyday activities such as shopping, leisure activities, washing and personal care. They fit flexibly around their needs at the times and on the days of the week that suit the person.
How it works
The job can be very flexible, and some people become a Personal Assistant part-time while also working in another job.
Being a Personal Assistant may suit, for example, someone who is retired and may only want a few hours a week, or someone in college who may only want to work evenings or weekends.
Support with Confidence
Support with Confidence is a local council initiative, a partnership between our Adult Social Care and Trading Standards services. Support with Confidence offers free training and accreditation to people who want to be a Personal Assistant.
The Support with Confidence training and accreditation checks are provided to you free of charge. You will be provided with the following:
- Enhanced disclosure and barring (DBS) checks (previously called Criminal Records Bureau checks)
- Trading Standards checks
- Two reference checks
- Training modules based on the knowledge elements of the Care Certificate that all care workers undertake before they start working, delivered by Hallifax Care. The training can take up to 10 hours, provided one-to-one, in group sessions, online or via DVD. Hallifax Care can also carry out a disclosure and barring (DBS) checks and check job references
- An additional training course of your choice provided by Brighton and Hove City Council e.g. Emergency First Aid
Some training needs to be updated on a regular basis.
What happens next
To remain on the register, you must respond to monitoring requests twice a year.
You can download and fill in an application form (PDF 918KB). You'll need to provide personal details and references. You must include copies of two forms of ID, one of which must be a photo ID, and copies of all relevant training certificates with your application.
Support with Confidence
2nd Floor, Bartholomew House
Call: 01273 292494
PeoplePlus is the current provider of the Direct Payments Support Service for people who use Direct Payment in Brighton & Hove. PeoplePlus provides advice, information and guidance on the Direct Payments scheme.
- Information and advice about recruiting a personal assistant
- Portal for Direct Payment employers
- Information about becoming a personal assistant
- Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service - advice and case studies about tricky workplace situations for PAs
- PA Network - for Personal Assistants in social care, people who already employ a PA or people who'd like to and people who would like to become a PA in Social Care
- Social Care Institute for Excellence - the impact of Personal Budgets on PAs
- Being the Boss - for disabled people who employ PAs however they are funded
- Independent Living Advocacy - includes a register of PAs and job vacancies
- Independent Living Alternatives - a social enterprise that enables disabled people to live independently and offers
- Care’s e-learning course for becoming a Personal Assistant