Pot hole repairs:-
The Bear Road entrance will be closed on Sat 28th Sep and there will be restricted access elsewhere within the grounds while this work is being carried out.
Getting to Woodvale Crematorium
Woodvale's main entrance is located about a mile from the city centre, on the Lewes Road (A270), Brighton, on the side of the road headed towards the city centre. Unless you need the Extra-Mural chapel (see below), use the main gate. There is sign-posting from all directions. A useful landmark near the main entrance is a yellow painted public house called The Gladstone. A Sainsbury's supermarket is opposite. You can see where the crematorium is by looking at
Crematorium and cemeteries map (PDF 150KB) shows where the crematorium is located.
Public transport links are available and the crematorium is approximately a 30 minute walk from Brighton Station.
All chapels have free parking nearby, including spaces for disabled badge holders.
The grounds are open every day of the year.
October to March
- Monday to Saturday: 9am to 4pm
- Sunday and public holidays: 11am to 4pm
April to September
- Monday to Saturday: 9am to 5.30pm
- Sunday and public holidays: 11am to 5.30pm
The North and South Chapels are adjacent to the crematorium building and located approximately quarter of a mile up the drive from the main Lewes Road gates.
The Extra-Mural Chapel, which is also used for services sometimes, is in the Extra-Mural Cemetery and cannot be accessed from the main Woodvale gate. There is a separate sign posted gate earlier up the road, opposite the BP petrol station.
If you do not know which chapel you require for a service, it is advisable to contact the Woodvale Lodge Office.
Memorial options such as the Garden of Remembrance, the Hall of Memory and jewellery.
Forms and publications
- Genealogy research at Woodvale and the council's cemeteries
- other useful information about Woodvale
- our current charges (PDF 141KB)
- how to arrange a Self-Help Cremation (PDF 133KB)
- code of cremation practice (PDF 72KB)
- policy statement for infant cremation (PDF 156KB)
- recycling of metal implants following cremation (PDF 312KB)
- strewing cremated remains on water (PDF 35KB)
- coffin covers for cremation (PDF 76KB)
- summary of forms required for cremation (PDF 121KB)
Please note that the Downs Crematorium and the Brighton & Preston Cemetery, both located in Brighton, are owned and managed by Dignity Funerals Ltd, a private company, and have no connection with Brighton & Hove City Council.
If you think the information available on this web page could be improved, please let us know.