Most people of working age  will need to claim help with their housing costs (rent) through Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit, if they are making a new claim for:

  • Housing Benefit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Income Support

There are some exceptions. All claims for Council Tax Reduction are still made through the council.

The Jobcentre will write to claimants to tell them when they will need to make a claim for Universal Credit. Please check to see if you are affected.

Display events?: