Extra-Mural Cemetery Chapel
The Extra-Mural Chapel
See a larger picture (PDF 475KB)
The Extra-Mural Chapel is a Grade II listed building in the Extra-Mural Cemetery, built in 1851, and set far apart from the main crematorium building. It can be used some days of the week for a service prior to cremation or burial, or just a memorial services.
It has seating for around 80 people and equipment for playing music from CDs and audio devices that come with a headphone socket. There is free parking and public toilet facilities, including such facilities for the disabled.
Visitors should note that the Extra-Mural Chapel (PDF 110KB) cannot be accessed from Woodvale crematorium's main gate. There is a separate sign posted gate, opposite the BP petrol station, about 50 yards north up the southbound side of Lewes Road from the main Woodvale gate.
Viewings can be arranged on request by contacting the Woodvale Lodge office.
- A chapel attendant cannot be provided by Woodvale to operate the audio equipment.
- If the chapel is being used for a service prior to a cremation, the funeral director or the person making funeral arrangements will still be responsible for transporting the coffin from the chapel to the crematorium after the service. A time must also be booked in either the North or South Chapel at the crematorium for the arrival of the coffin. The regular fee will apply to the booking in the North or South Chapel and an additional 'use of chapel fee' applies to the use of the Extra-Mural Chapel.
- There is no fee for using the Extra-Mural Chapel if it is to be followed by a burial at a Brighton & Hove City Council operated cemetery.
- A 'use of chapel' fee applies if being used for a memorial service only or if the coffin is then being taken on to a crematorium or cemetery not operated by Brighton & Hove City Council.